7.2.12
Il comune non ha soldi, dio fa!
Last week it snowed in the city and it hasn't melted away yet, it's actually cold! Everything looks so beautiful in the snow and even all the run-down buildings seem to be so much more full of colour. On my way through town I looked up at a huge building I pass everyday and for the first time I realized that is in fact one of the most beautiful buildings I've seen. Then I started to think why the city seemed so different. I realized that it was because there were hardly any people around. That was why I was walking slower and more observing. It almost felt like I was back in Päiväkumpu. But the snow-slushy sidewalks brought me back to reality, in Finland sidewalks would be cleaned as well... Walking past a park two angry looking men were cleaning the sidewalk with shovels mumbling mostly swearwords. As they were swearing a full phrase accidentally left their lips; il comune non ha soldi, dio fa!, the community doesn't have money, goddammit! And there was me feeling silly as I had thought Italians were just lazy, only plowing streets for cars. But then I wondered why, il comune would pay for the roads used by cars to be cleaned five times a day! The idea of the community not having money seemed absurd! Indeed, all the sidewalks were cleaned by hand, usually by two or three men. I wondered why this clearly inefficient mysterious il comune would pay two or three men to shovel a street in an hour, when they could just pay one person to drive a snowplow in five minutes. It could even be just a little Ape with a plow attached to the front. I mean I guess it's good if more people have jobs, but it seems kind of a waste, doesn't it? Especially when the shovellers clearly don't seem to enjoy it. They (at this point I guess they would be ex-shovellers) could be payed to do something much more efficient, like smiling, looking happy and greeting everyone a good day. :)
Since it started to snow, there's been an Ape parked right in front of our door. Maybe it's waiting for a plow to be attached to its nose and a driver to clean the sidewalks with it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Very nice. Thank you for the story and photo.
ReplyDelete